Saturday 12 April 2014

Book Beginnings On Fridays (The Bear)

Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

This is the second time I've posted this as the first one I accidentally deleted this morning (as you can imagine I wasn't pleased). I've since finished the book and liked the beginning and found the last chapter heartbreaking, however everything inbetween was disappointing and I've given it a 3 star rating on Goodreads. I didn't find the child narrator in this story as convincing as in others such as Room and The Night Rainbow.


The Bear by Claire Cameron 

 

I can hear the air going in and out of my brother's nose. I am awake. He is two years old and almost three and he bugs me lots of times because I am five years old and soon I will be six but it is warm sleeping next to him.

 

The Bear 

Book Description:

 

While camping with her family on a remote island, five-year-old Anna awakes in the night to the sound of her mother screaming. A rogue black bear, three hundred pounds of fury, is attacking the family's campsite -- and pouncing on her parents as prey.

At her dying mother's faint urging, Anna manages to get her brother into the family's canoe and paddle away. But when the canoe runs aground on the edge of the woods, the sister and brother must battle hunger, the elements, and a wilderness alive with danger. Lost and completely alone, they find that their only hope resides in Anna's heartbreaking love for her family, and her struggle to be brave when nothing in her world seems safe anymore.

This is a story with a small narrator and a big heart. Cameron gracefully plumbs Anna's young perspective on family, responsibility, and hope, charting both a tragically premature loss of innocence and a startling evolution as Anna reasons through the impossible situations that confront her. 

  

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post and introduction to the book. THANKS for your honest review.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.