Sunday 23 March 2014

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

The Light Between OceansTom Sherbourne returns to Australia after the end of the first world war and becomes the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock. Whilst on the mainland he meets and falls in love with Isabel; they marry and she moves to the lighthouse to live with him. Their only contact with the outside world, apart from very rare allowed visits to the mainland, are the occupants of the boat that occasionally brings them provisions. Isabel is happy with their life apart from one thing; she wants to have a child, and after three miscarriages this isn't looking like it will ever happen. Then one day a boat is washed up and in it a dead man and a small crying baby. They both make a decision that will change their lives, and others', forever.

 

The Light Between Oceans is beautifully written and gets across the isolation that the couple experience on the rock. I also found that I didn't take sides and felt sympathy for everyone, seeing all their points of view and reasons for what they did. Indeed Tom and Isabel's decision is very believable. I cried near the end of the novel, something that very few books have made me do, thankfully I was on my own when this happened.

 

This successful novel was published two years ago but I've only recently heard of it, I'm not sure why. I'm so glad that I did though as well as deciding to download and read it straight away.

 

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.