Saturday 7 December 2013

Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens

Rush Home Road


Sharla Cody is only 5 years old when her mother sends her to stay with Addy, an elderly black neighbour on the trailer park in Canada where they all live, for the summer. It soon becomes apparent to Addy that this is going to be a permanent arrangement and, as she's not getting any younger, she starts to worry what will become of the girl once she has gone. We are also told of Addy's life from the time she was a teenager. She had a lot of heartbreaking things to deal with over the years, including something which meant she had to leave her parents and home town to fend for herself from the age of fifteen.

 

Although I have read and enjoyed The Girls by this author I hadn't heard of this book until I saw it in my recommendations on Goodreads last week. I wasn't sure what to read next and as my local library had a copy of this sitting on the shelf I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did as the story of Addy's life had me completely gripped as well as in tears on a couple of occasions; not many books have done that to me. This is by no means a depressing read though, despite some of the awful things that happen, but is life affirming. I loved the ending (and had another little cry).

 

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.