Friday 18 October 2013

Book Beginnings On Fridays (Lost In A Good Book)



Book Beginnings on Fridays is hosted by Rose City Reader and as she says the idea of this meme is for you to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name. There's a linky list on the website and you can use #BookBeginnings on Twitter.

 

My book beginning is Lost In A Good Book by Jasper Fforde

 

I didn't ask to be a celebrity. I never wanted to appear on The Adrian Lush Show. And let's get one thing straight right now - the world would have to be hurtling towards imminent destruction before I'd agree to anything as dopey as The Thursday Next Workout Video.

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  
This is the second book in the Thursday Next series, these novels are very different to anything I've read before and are great escapism.

Book Blurb:

The inventive, exuberant, and totally original literary fun that began with The Eyre Affair continues with Jasper Fforde's magnificent second adventure starring the resourceful, fearless literary sleuth Thursday Next. When Landen, the love of her life, is eradicated by the corrupt multinational Goliath Corporation, Thursday must moonlight as a Prose Resource Operative of Jurisfiction'the police force inside books. She is apprenticed to the man-hating Miss Havisham from Dickens's Great Expectations, who grudgingly shows Thursday the ropes. And she gains just enough skill to get herself in a real mess entering the pages of Poe's The Raven. What she really wants is to get Landen back. But this latest mission is not without further complications. Along with jumping into the works of Kafka and Austen, and even Beatrix Potter's The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies, Thursday finds herself the target of a series of potentially lethal coincidences, the authenticator of a newly discovered play by the Bard himself, and the only one who can prevent an unidentifiable pink sludge from engulfing all life on Earth


 

 

4 comments:

  1. Very different and original.
    My Friday post is HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually don't read series. Sounds good.

    ENJOY!!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't join in memes as I always feel I should commit regularly and I'm not always able to fit in the time. I do like this one so may join at a later date. I have an award for you, I did check to ensure you're not an award free zone and hope I got that right :) Here's the details: http://booketta.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/shine-on-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.