Tuesday 10 September 2013

Shift (Wool Trilogy 2) by Hugh Howey

Shift Omnibus Edition (Silo, #2) (Wool, #6-8)

In a future less than fifty years away, the world is still as we know it. Time continues to tick by. The truth is that it is ticking away. A powerful few know what lies ahead. They are preparing for it. They are trying to protect us. They are setting us on a path from which we can never return.


Shift is the second novel in the Wool trilogy and a prequel to the first book, I don't recommend that you read this if you're not already familiar with Wool. I read the omnibus edition which consists of three parts, First Shift - Legacy, Second Shift - Order and Third Shift - Pact and these are also available as separate ebooks.
We learn about how and why the underground silos were built, congressman Donald is given the job of designing one and is a main character in the novel. He's away from his wife Helen and has been made to work with an ex girlfriend, Anna.
As with Wool, I loved the start of the story and thought parts of the book were very good but it didn't manage to hold the same level of interest for me all the way through, the Third Shift felt overlong and the story drawn out. It hasn't put me off reading the final novel in the trilogy, Dust, to find out how the story concludes.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 




2 comments:

  1. I read the first trilogy last year when I got it as freebie from Amazon. I enjoyed it very much as I started, but by the last of the 3, my attention wandered. It would be an awesome premise for just one book I think. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Rita, it's stretching the story to have it as a trilogy.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.