Thursday 12 September 2013

Little Joe (Round Rock #1) by Michael E. Glasscock III

Little Joe

Little Joe Stout, the only survivor of a car crash that claims the lives of both his parents, is sent to live with his maternal grandparents on their Tennessee farm. Having spent all of his nine years living in a town he has to get used to his new rural environment and lifestyle.
This isn't a bad novel by any means but I was hoping for more, the story is during World War II and I usually love fiction set in this time period, unfortunately this book didn't grab me or keep me interested all the way through. I didn't think Joe and his grandparents feelings about their bereavement were properly explored, at one point it seemed that Joe was more upset about having to eat the greasy farm food and the farm animals than he was at his loss.
Having said this the author has obviously researched what it was like in Tennessee during the war and it was a pleasant enough, quick read. I also liked the characters, despite their lack of development, but I did find myself skipping parts towards the end and won't be reading the next book in the Round Rock series. Perhaps this book is meant to be/should be aimed at younger readers.

I received a copy of this from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.