Tuesday 13 August 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Top 10 Books Set During World War II

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme by The Broke and the Bookish and each  week there's a different topic. As always, even if you can't think of 10, do as many as you can. This weeks the topic is Top Ten Favourite Books With X Setting (ie: futuristic world, set mostly in schools, during World War II, books set in California  etc. etc. So many possibilities!)



I've chosen books set during World War II (9 fiction and 1 non fiction):








The Boy in the Striped Pajamas Under An English Heaven A Town Like Alice The Night Watch

Little Boy Lost The Book Thief Lights Out Liverpool The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Diary of a Young Girl Pied Piper

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne - I cried my heart out when I got to the end.

Under An English Heaven by Robert Radcliffe - Was leant a bag of books and this was among them, had no idea what to read next but because it's set in Suffolk decided to give it a go, I loved it and now I really enjoy fiction set during this period in time.

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute - I'd heard good things about this book and it lived up to the hype, I now have lots of Nevil Shute books including The Pied Piper which I've also included in this list.

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters - This book is unusual because it starts in 1947 and then the story works backwards until it gets to 1941. It's set in London and follows the lives of four people.

Little Boy Lost by Marghanita Laski - The fictional story of an English soldier, his wife was killed by the Gestapo and he returns to France to search for his missing young son.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - An unsual book that has Death as the narrator of the story, one I want to read again at some point.

Lights Out Liverpool by Maureen Lee - The first book in the Pearl Street Trilogy, a very good family saga and an insight into what it was like to live during the war.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Schaffer - Although I'd heard good things about this book I wasn't sure it was my sort of read, glad I managed to get a copy from the library though because I enjoyed it a lot.

The Diary of Anne Frank - Everyone should read this book, I will make sure my daughters do as soon as they're old enough.










3 comments:

  1. Good choices! I enjoyed The Boy in the Striped Pajamas and The Diary of Anne Frank, and have The Book Thief and A Town Like Alice on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. My own WWII favorites are Maus and Two Rings.

    New GFC follower

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever read Summer of My german Soldier?
    Here is my TTT
    http://hauntedgravebooks.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-favorite-book.html

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.